911--What's Your Emergency?
Fire, Police, Rescue, and Ambulance
If you have an EMERGENCY call 911
- Stay Calm
- Speak Clearly
- Follow the Instructions of the Emergency Dispatcher
- Do not hang up until the dispatcher tells you to as they may need additional information only you can provide
Here are some pointers that will help the 911 Dispatcher help you:
- Tell the dispatcher what service is needed - Fire, Police, or Ambulance
- The dispatcher will ask you a series of questions:
- Where is the Emergency?
- What is the Emergency?
- What are the directions to the location of the incident?
- You will be asked pertinent questions about the emergency situation. It is important that you give the dispatcher all the information available. This will enable them to prioritize the call, send the appropriate personnel and send them as quickly as possible.
REMEMBER - Your remaining calm helps us to help you.
If you were hurt, would your child know how to call for an ambulance and give directions to your house? Know and teach your children the following:
- Your phone number.
- Your physical address
- Directions to your home from the nearest main road, intersection or major landmark
- Write down your address and the directions to your house. Remember to include any key landmarks such as a school, church, restaurant or others. Keep this information beside your phone. In an emergency situation, you or whoever is calling for you may become confused or disoriented.
911 is for emergency calls only. If you know your call is not an emergency, please call a business or non-emergency number
Some of the more frequently called non-emergency numbers are:
Palmer Police Department.....745-4811
Palmer City Hall.....745-3271
Wasilla Police Department.....352-5401
Wasilla City Hall.....373-9050
Alaska State Troopers.....745-2131
TTY to Palmer Police (for hearing-impaired callers with TTY machines).....746-3737
Mat-Su Pre Trial.....745-0944
Palmer District Court.....746-8105
Alaska Family Resource Center.....746-4080
Statewide Rape Crisis Hotline (STAR)...1-800-478-8999; TTY/TDO: 907-278-9988; Anchorage local number: 907-276-7273